Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tool # 3


For your Tool #3 Assignment:

Tool #3 is all about using the web to find videos, and pictures that can be used in the classroom.  It also explores the copyright laws and how it effects educators. I have broken this up into 3 parts. 
Part 1: Video
I looked at a few of the sights mentioned, here are my thoughts. 
Teacher Tube: I noticed a lot of lessons that teachers put online.  A lot of videos with songs.  It was kinda of cumbersome to search for something specific.  For example, I thought that maybe I would watch a teacher do a writer's workshop lesson and instead I saw a video of a book that a child made using a program.  
Kid Tube: Full of music videos, Nickelodeon clips, and seemed like a good site for teens.  I typed in Panda Bears to see if I could pull up any movies about them and it actually did pull up a few cute videos.  
School Tube: I liked this one the best.  I went to look at different channels by category and found a national geographic channel that students could use to watch videos of animals. 
I also found a really good video that I can use this year when we teach parts of the plant.  It is to the song by Dr. Jean.  I have it on a pocket chart but, but it would be fun for my students to watch it on the computer or ipod. 
(See the Video Below)





I also found a video on http://www.youtube.com  I am teaching about the Statue of Liberty next week and plant to show this one to my students.  It has a ton of facts and actually shows the steps one would take to get to the crown.  
(See Video Below) 




Part 2
Copyright Law: 
I knew that if you are using something for education there is exemptions copyrighted material depending on the purpose.  I learned that if you're using something in a different way than it was intended or if you change it to improve it or add value than you are not breaking any copyrights. 
Part 3
Picasa Web Albums
I looked at a few pictures that I might use for my homes unit.  We study homes around the world and I read a bunch of books but it might be cool to find some pictures that I could use to have students match the home to the habitat.   

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! You are learning and learning every time you post! I can tell! Great work and on to #4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are really moving through the tools! I know that lots of people are having trouble accessing Picasa web albums. as soon as I have a little time - maybe this weekend - we are thinking about focusing more on Dropbox over the Picasa web albums. We have found that we can't control the images as much as we would like for students, so we have removed student access to Picasa. We think Dropbox will serve the purpose and may even be easier. Have you every used Dropbox?

    ReplyDelete